mardi 22 novembre 2011

Beverage reviews : Stewart’s fountain classics



When I go to work, I always need something to drink, and most of the time, I’m so tired that I require some sugar to sustain myself. At one point, I was into energy drinks, but I halted the consumption when I realized that my body was beginning to reject it. It was time to find a new, softer drug.

So I went and got myself some Stewart’s sodas during my stay in the United States (you may also find this in Quebec and Canada). It was a drink I tried a long time ago and remembered liking, but I did not have a car and since then, have forgotten the taste. I liked it so I started taking my car to by loads of them so I could bring them to work. Until now, I have tried the only four that are around my neighbourhood.

Apparently, these drinks originated from the Stewart’s restaurant chain that first started in Mansfield, Ohio in 1924 where the root beer was quite famous. This is not unlike the history of A&W as you can see. The bottling license was passed on to different companies but the quality did not decrease as drastically as one would imagine, if at all.

So let’s look at a few of the flavours from my least favourite to most favourite:


Key lime:



This one is strange. It is a creamy drink that tastes like lime. It is quite refreshing but the taste is more akin to carbonated, creamy, sweet lemonade. Actually, I could say that this most resembles Perrier with lemon Torani syrup in terms of taste (although tastes better). It has a lingering lime aftertaste. I’d say it’s a good drink but may not please everyone.

Rating:



Cream soda:



If you are used to cream soda being clear, this is a golden-coloured drink that makes you look like your carrying beer if you have a bottle of it on the streets. It’s a cream soda, not unlike Fanta, but more creamy and with a dash of vanilla. Once you drink it, the cream soda taste is immediate, then the vanilla taste takes over. Don’t go into it thinking you’ll drink regular cream soda. Vanilla is the most prominent taste and the aftertaste will also be of vanilla. It’s pretty good, but again, you got to like vanilla.

Rating:


Root Beer:



This is the most famous Stewart’s sodas and pretty deservingly so. It is a creamy again, like most Stewart’s sodas, but also doesn’t have an overbearing taste like A&W root beer. It’s soft, sweet. I think this beats A&W root beer any day. As for the after taste? Just tastes like the root beer you drank, leaving some of the creamy flavour behind.

Rating:



Orange ‘n Cream:



Believe it or not, I am not a big fan of orange soda. I drink it just fine and I don’t dislike it, but I would almost never choose it given another choice. This drink is different however. It tastes like ice cream popsicle, the kind that is orange-flavoured with vanilla inside. The creamy aspect is used particularly well here to emulate this taste, and strangely, doesn’t feel weird at all. The creamy vanilla ice cream aftertaste seems to linger on a bit longer than the orange does.

Rating:



The only problem I have with Stewart’s soda is that they are a bit more expensive than regular sodas for their rather small quantity. They taste very good and constitute a very fine treat. It is something to drink slowly and enjoy. I highly recommend them, especially if you are into creamy flavours. This is currently my favourite. When I feel like it, I will probably cover energy drinks.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire